Tuesday, August 13, 2019

My 2019 Ultralight Backpacking Gear List (10 lb Base Weight) by Erik Asorson, aka "Erik the Black."

This year I’m planning on doing a lot more shorter (3-4 day) backpacking trips in my local California mountains, where temps are warm and there isn’t a lot of rain or mosquitoes. So I figured I might as well shave a few pounds off my pack weight…
For this gear list I went with a smaller backpack (the new ULA Photon,) a tarp shelter from Six Moon Designs, sleeping quilt and torso-length inflatable sleeping pad. The rest of my gear is pretty similar to what I have carried in the past (with a few changes.)
Despite being only a few pounds lighter than my regular long-distance backpacking gear list, this little pack feels feather light! It’s surprisingly roomy too. I’m able to fit 3-4 days worth of food, up to 4 liters of water and all of my gear inside.

The Big Three (Backpack, Shelter, Sleep System)

Weight: 5.4 lbs

Ultralight Backpacking Gear: The Big Three

Clothing Packed

Weight: 1.3 lbs

Ultralight Backpacking Gear: Clothing Packed

Cooking & Hydration

Weight: 1.4 lbs

Ultralight Backpacking Gear: Cooking t& Hydration

Survival & Miscellaneous

Weight: 2.2 lbs

Ultralight Backpacking Gear: Survival & Miscellaneous

Clothing Worn

Weight: 4.6 lbs

Ultralight Backpacking Gear: Clothing Worn

Items Worn or Carried

Weight: 2 lbs

Ultralight Backpacking Gear: Worn/Carried

Consumables

Weight: 10.8 lbs

Ultralight Backpacking Gear: Consumables

Weight & Cost Summary

Ultralight Backpacking Gear: Summary
The Big Three: 5.4 lbs
Clothing Packed: 1.3 lbs
Cooking & Hydration: 1.4 lbs
Survival & Miscellaneous: 2.2 lbs
Base Weight: 10.3 lbs
Consumables: 10.8 lbs
Full Pack Weight: 21.1 lbs
Clothing Worn: 4.6 lbs
Items Worn or Carried: 2 lbs
Skin-Out Weight: 27.7 lbs
Approximate Total Cost: $2,500

No comments:

Post a Comment