Thursday, March 19, 2020

18650 Lithium Pack from http://g4tjc.blogspot.com/

Easing Through Airport Security

For my recent work trip to South Africa I thought I'd take Andy's advice in respect of getting some lithium cells through airport security safely in the guise of a USB power bank. I bought a 4-cell plastic job off ebay. A 3-cell aluminium one like Andy found would be better for sure. I was only populating this one with 3 cells, and if I filled the slot nearest the switch with a cell it would jam on!

I had hoped to fill it with some protected lithium cells already in my possession, but the extra length was too much for the holder, meaning that I had to buy some new, unprotected 18650 cells.

So, it went through Manchester airport without comment whereas a small Hobbyking pack I also took got swabbed.

Cheap 3-cell holder with spiral spring contacts - Avoid

For use on the hill top I had a cheap series-wired 3-cell holder. This had worked Ok with the protected cells, which have a nipple at the positive end. But my new cells have a nearly flat end. On test at home the pack seemed Ok, but on the summit it would not behave and appeared open-circuit. Another attempt on my second summit saw some benefit from strapping tight with cable ties, but the contact was still not sufficient for providing useful power and I had to admit defeat, resorting to my back-up pack.

On my return I took some time out for a refit. By now I had two new 3-cell holders that I knew were too tight for protected cells, and proved just right for my new ones. So I wired one in 3S1P configuration with a Powerpole charge/discharge lead and a JST balance lead (from another ebay seller).

Powerbank, new 3-cell case and some JST leads

Ready to rock
I am slightly perturbed that the colour coding on the JST is not as I would choose, but I couldn't extract the contacts to swap the order.

A mess of wiring plus hot-melt glue
The cells had already been charged in the powerbank, but took another 800mAh from my S60 balanced charger. This pack is now ready for my next activation.

No comments:

Post a Comment