Friday, November 5, 2010

One Year After Shooting, Fort Hood Still Healing

John Jessup
CBN News Washington Correspondent

Friday marked the one year anniversary of the massacre at the Fort Hood Army base in Texas where 13 people were killed and dozens more were wounded. The base community has planned several weekend events to remember the victims who lost their lives.

One year ago, the community at Fort Hood was seized by fear when a lone gunman -- a Muslim Army psychiatrist -- opened fire killing 13 people, including a pregnant woman, and wounded 30 others.

Friday marks 365 days of healing when the community commemorates and honors the service and sacrifice of the victims. Those who lost loved ones that day, said not a day goes by where they don't think about the lives that were tragically cut short.

"The first three months, I don't even remember hardly," said Leila Hunt-Willingham, sister of one of the victims. "I was a zombie. I didn't get out of bed. I didn't shower often. I couldn't think clearly. And I'll be honest, I just felt like I wanted to go be with my brother. I couldn't bear the pain of thinking about what happened to him."

Dozens of families are expected to attend this weekend's events, which include the private awards ceremony to honor those who went above and beyond the call of duty. Also, a one-hour remembrance service will be held at Cameron Field, where flags will be lowered at half staff -- to be followed by Saturday's inaugural Run to Remember and a concert.

Organizers said all of these events are designed to find a way to bring something uplifting and positive out of such a tragic event.

No comments:

Post a Comment