Tuesday, July 19, 2022

DIY 6M MOXON ANTENNA by ARON INSINGA

 The ARRL book Magic Band Antennas for Ham Radio by Bruce Walker N3JO has the plans for a 6m Moxon Antenna that I found interesting because, instead of wire or tubing, it uses 3/4″x1/8″ aluminum stock available in hardware stores in 4′ or 8′ lengths.  No bending, just drilling!  I’ve worked on it bit by bit over the last few months or so, and the CQ VHF contest this weekend gave me the extra push I needed to get it up into the air!

I got 8′ sections of the aluminum stock, but I cut the center of the parasitic element (the longest piece) into 2 pieces of less than 4′ each, in case I want to pack the antenna into a car.

The boom is PVC pipe, and for the spacers between the active element and the parasitic element, I used a 1-1/2″x3/4″ vinyl substitute for wood used for trim, which is also available in hardware stores.  I cut it down to 3/4″ wide strips for the insulators between the ends of the elements.  Unlike the book, I used the full width to attach the elements to the boom so that the U-bolts could be attached beside, instead of under and through, the elements.  (It was not at all clear to me from the book’s drawing — no photographs — how the parasitic element was attached to the boom given the bolt positions as drawn.  Also, I may have misunderstood if the author meant 1″ ID or 1″ OD pipe; since it is Pipe, I assumed it was ID.)

I made a coil balun as described in the book, and the UHF connector is mounted on a right-angle piece of plastic cut from an inexpensive outlet box which is a trick suggested in the book.

I put Noalox on the stainless steel nuts and bolts to prevent them from “welding” themselves together and also to protect the aluminum from the stainless steel.

I changed my ideas on how to get it up into the air a couple of times, and today I finally just went and got an MFJ-1911 lightweight fiberglass mast and a set of MFJ-2830X guy rings at our local “candy store.”  (I wish there were a ring in the set with an even larger center hole.)  I did not extend it to the full 20′ (yet, anyway) because I was concerned that the antenna was too heavy, so it is only about 14′ up in the air now.

I used hose clamps (threaded through a water drain tube, so the clamps don’t cut into the mast) above each exposed joint in the mast to give added protection against the “twist lock” mast unlocking and collapsing into itself.  I put another one around the base with loops of paracord through it that I can hold down with tent stakes, in addition to putting the base of the mast against one of the raised garden beds to keep it from slipping.  (I’m sorry, I don’t recall which video blogging ham I learned those hose clamp tricks from.)

6m Moxon antenna
6m Moxon based on a plan by Bruce Walker N3JO before it was raised up

The 6m Moxon Antenna ended up being tilted slightly (actually, rotated around to be almost upside-down!), but I’ve got some U-bolt saddles on order to fix that.  (They’ll be the two pieces of metal besides the aluminum elements that aren’t stainless steel.  Unfortunately, I used a smaller size U-bolt than what seems to be the “standard” for antenna masts of about 2″ inside diameter for the U-bolts.)  I made an extension that screws in above the vertical piece of PVC pipe through the boom so that I could add support ropes for the insulators far out from the center of the antenna, but I haven’t put it on yet to save weight.  (I may replace the mast with a heavier-weight product from MFJ to allow this and to raise it higher.)

6m Moxon antenna
6m Moxon based on a plan by Bruce Walker N3JO

As you can see below, the minimum SWR is 1.0 at about 52,140 MHz, not the point in the 6m band where I would like it for FT8, but at least it is in the lower half of the band.  (I haven’t thought about how to tune it or if I need to.  But I do know that I want to replace the thin coax feeding the antenna now with LMR-400.)

SWR curve hitting 1.0 at about 52,140 MHz
SWR curve hitting 1.0 at about 52,140 MHz

With much-appreciated help from my XYL Merle W1MSI, I was able to get the DIY 6m Moxon Antenna up late this afternoon and try it out before the band closed for the day.  The “magic band” did what it does, and I was able to make 27 QSOs on VHF with FT8, from my shack in FN42 (southern New Hampshire) to as far as EL98 (Florida) and  EN52 (Wisconsin).  So I think the antenna is working pretty well.  It is the first beam antenna at my shack.

For a while there, I was happily collecting DXCCs and US states on HF with SSB, but then I discovered FT8, and after that FT4, and now I’ve got grid squares to collect on VHF — so I have even more paper to chase!

Aron, W1AKI

No comments:

Post a Comment