Sunday, October 17, 2021

RATPAC presentation: Helping People Have Fun with Amateur Radio BY DAN KB6NU

 

Last Wednesday, I gave this presentation to the Radio Amateur Training Planning and Activities Committee, also known as RATPAC. RATPAC hosts Zoom presentations twice-a-week. On Wednesdays, the presentations are on general amateur radio topics, and on Thursdays, the presentations are on amateur radio emergency communications.

The thrust of my talk was how to be a better mentor for newcomers to amateur radio. In amateur radio circles, we commonly call this “Elmering,” but I think that we have possibly outgrown that term. The main points in my talk are:

  • Be enthusiastic about ALL of amateur radio.
  • Make yourself available.
  • Listen
  • Show, don’t tell
  • Teach AND learn

I also have a slide that includes a number of small things that you can do that mean a lot to newcomers and a list of resources. Click here to get all the slides.

No comments:

Post a Comment