Saturday, December 15, 2018

Gearing-Up for QRP Portable –Unplugged Posted on December 2, 2018 by Mike Hohmann

In the past, I’ve used my Yaesu FT-817, multi-mode portable transceiver that covers HF, VHF and UHF bands to transmit under low power (known as QRP – 5 watts or less) from my home using conventional electricity supplied by my local utility.
Then I brought it outside and connected it to a sealed lead-acid battery (a SLAB) on a picnic table, and transmitted QRP (low power) as long as the battery had a decent charge -then I’d have to hook up a new battery, or shut down and recharge the battery, while I did something else. I started out with a 12v5Ah SLAB and then moved up to a 9Ah which allowed for increased operational time, and a back-up to use while recharging. This was fun, but in the end I was still dependent upon utility-supplied electricity to assure operation over an extended period (say a 3-4 day weekend or longer). I couldn’t operate over longer backpacking trips in the wilderness.

Yaesu FT-817 hf compact radio – low power output requires only low power input, i.e. relatively lightweight batteries, initially a 5Ah and then a 9 Ah SLAB. I recharged them with grid power.

Now, I’ve cut my dependence upon the electric utility, I’m unplugged! I’ve switched to using the sun to power photovoltaic solar cells to operate my radio and keep my batteries recharged. I’m also using a new, higher energy-density battery- a lithium iron phosphate battery (LiFePO4), to replace the old lead-acid batteries. They are smaller, lighter, higher performing and longer lasting than the old SLABs.
I’m using a 12v 9Ahr LiFePO4 battery, and a 28 watt foldable solar panel with a 20 Ahr  max-load solar charge controller -all made by Bioenno Power.  I also have a battery charger that’s compatible with the LiFePO4 battery technology for additional back-up.
It’s cold and snowing now, but I plan to evaluate this equipment in coming months and I’ll report back. I’m looking forward to using these solar panels and the new battery technology to improve my operational capabilities.

From left clockwise. Bioenno 28 watt foldable solar panel, 12v9Ah batteries, battery charger, solar charge controller -and a cigar to enjoy while watching solar energy run my radio.

12v9Ahr batteries -LiFePO4 (l) and SLAB (r), backup charger, and solar charge controller.

The LiFePO4 battery (l) is smaller and lighter and much more efficient than the older SLAB battery technology (r).

12v9Ahr batteries -LiFePO4 on left and SLAB on right.

Bioenno foldable solar panel

The individual solar panel sections measure 8″x10″, while the open array measures about 39″x11.5″. When folded up, it measures about 9.5″x11.5″x2″.

Bioenno foldable 28 watt solar panel

Bioenno 28 watt foldable solar panel -folded up!

I’m excited about getting out with this new gear. Alas, we’ve just had some good snow falling and it’s time to head north with the snowshoes and get out on the Superior Hiking Trail (SHT) again -Tettegouche SP, up near the Cross River and the Temperance River should be nice. I’ll bring along my HT and see who’s on 2m!
Next post on snowshoeing near Lake Superior on the SHT!
Mike, KEØGZT   EN34,  Clear!

No comments:

Post a Comment